____________________________

____________________________

Thursday 17 April 2014

Day 62 - Media Obsessed




I found out that there was a mass murder in my city a few days ago where a guy killed 5 people with a knife at a house party. It really peaked my interest because I could easily identify with the people involved. They were just regular kids that went to University and partied. No past brushes with the law, they weren't drug dealers or associated with gangs, or growing up in impoverished neighborhoods. In fact, the murders happened in a quiet suburban neighborhood, near a University, even close to where I used to live. Would not have predicted that a University student, with no past crimes, would just go and murder 5 people with a knife on the last day of classes at a party where everyone was celebrating summer finally being here.

It has got me so intrigued, that now I want to know every detail of how and why this happened. I have this strong pull, almost an obsession, to read every little detail about this case and soak up as much knowledge about it, so that I can try and understand what happened. But why do I want to get inside the mind of this young man that committed these terrible acts of violence.

The fact is, without reading anything more, I can see that this man was possessed/obsessed with something in particular. Just like myself in being pulled to find a newspaper or go on-line to read about this case, (except a lot more intensified), these are the kinds of actions, that are built up through thought/imagination/backchat and the fueling of a certain lust to do or experience something. But the pattern of obsession, leading to possession is the same, and most people give in to this on a daily basis, whether it's with eating snacks, watching TV or any other game of will that is lost to mind for immediate satisfaction.

It is a tragedy and completely unnecessary that 5 people's lives ended so abruptly and this case really goes to show the importance of dealing with such mind obsessions/possessions, before they get to the point of terrible un-reversible consequences that leave a lasting scar on this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment