____________________________

____________________________

Saturday 18 January 2014

Day 41 – What is Anxiety? (Part 1)




I’d like to talk about anxiety. Today was another day of going through this anxiety. So what is it and where does it come from? Because to me, it seems totally pointless, and completely gets in the way of any living that one could potentially do. Worrying about this, or worrying about that, and it seems like it just comes out of nowhere, like a thought pops through, and all of a sudden I’m in anxiety. It really feels like a thorn in my side. It prevents me from living here.


So what is anxiety? It's something that always has existed within myself, just biding it’s time and waiting to emerge. I know this because I see that it doesn’t just magically pop out of thin air. The ingredients are there within me and in time it is just triggered. So on the surface, anxiety may seem like this pointless thing that exists as a thorn in your side, but I see it now as a guide or compass that can show me exactly where I am still accepting and allowing points of separation to exist within myself.
Because what anxiety shows me in myself is where I have judged myself, for example, as inferior and that I have misplaced my trust into something else that is outside of myself instead of just trusting myself as who I am. An example of this, would be like ‘believing you need to get drunk to talk to others’, or believing that you need to memorize exactly what to say in the presentation you’re giving to others, instead of trusting yourself that you will be able to express yourself effectively in the moment as who you are. Another cause of anxiety is in the anticipation of the outcome. Worrying about whether or not it will be good or bad, which I see is pointless, because I find that the outcome will be the same or have more consequence by worrying about it, so why worry? We worry because we don’t trust ourselves, and so it becomes a viscous cycle.


For example, in the last couple of days, anxiety has had a grip on me. The trigger in these cases were meetings that I thought ‘held importance’. I really wanted to impress upon some other people that I was a good enough employee to be on the team I was on and maybe ready for a promotion. The first meeting, I had to give a presentation and the people in the room consisted of people that I judge to be of more value than me, because they are my managers or managers from other departments and are higher up on the corporate ladder, so to speak. They have many more years of experience, so I judge myself automatically to be inferior to these people. I label these people as being more critical and more watchful of what I say, where as with someone that I see as having less knowledge, I can say something that may not be entirely accurate and it will slide by without a hint of criticism towards it. For those times, when I have seen another say something not entirely correct, I immediately challenge them on it and usually correct them as a their superior (ie. Put them in their place – back to their inferior level as I judge it). And I fear this criticism or correction from another person because I don’t want to be put back in my place. I don't want to be inferior to them.


So where I had misplaced my trust outside of myself, in this circumstance, instead of trusting myself, is through knowledge, and being able to defend my opinions from any criticism. I automatically through that I would be grilled for certain things, so I started having these fake internal conversations with myself and my boss's in my head on certain points. I didn't trust myself enough to just speak my perspective to help us all get to an understanding, I felt that I needed to go over it in my mind, which is kind of the dumbest thing to do , because you end up spending hours and hours practicing to be defensive most likely on topics that probably won't even come to the surface. These internal conversations, usually stem from fear, and when one is in fear, one can definitely not trust oneself.


Then comes the expectations of the outcome, where I only would see it as ‘Good’ if I feel that others are seeing me in a positive valuable light. Like ‘I respect this guy, because he seems smart and knowledgable’ or ‘I like him because he seems like a great asset to the company – he is special’. Because it would kill me if the presentation was terrible, and others were disappointed and thought that I wasted their time and didn’t see something special. Not only that, but if all of those managers thought that I sucked collectively, then I believe that next thing you know, I’m out on the curb without a job. Then what? And that’s what scares me. What the hell would I do? This is all that I know.


The strangest thing is that my biggest fear about doing presentations, is simply just going into fear and being judged for it, because I see that when I go into fear, I get light headed, I can’t think, the words just wont come out of your mouth. Like stage fright, you can just be frozen in time, and to me that is the scariest thing. I don’t like that feeling of fear and being that vulnerable to judgment, because going into that kind of fear, I feel opens the door for judgments from others of inferiority. I see it in myself when I judge others for not being ‘sharp’ or smart, and up until now, I didn’t actually consider that they may actually be smart, but just let fear and anxiety take over instead. So, it’s ironic that having a fear for not appearing to be smart (even though you may be smart), can actually give the perception to others that you are not smart. What that is saying is that the fear is then actually manifested into the reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment